Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Day in the Archives at STBC

By now everyone knows that I am spending Wednesdays at the church working on the history archives.

Yesterday was full of exciting, interesting, and unique things.
  • I found pictures of people that I had long ago forgotten, even a picture of me when I was a few pounds lighter.
  • I found pictures that I had never seen before and when I showed them to other people they had never seen them either. These were the various stages of buildings at STBC.
  • I found a charcoal painting of the proposed look of the "current" plant with the proposed new sanctuary. HOWEVER, the proposed/current sanctuary was not built as it was originally planned.
  • I found out that the first architect of the current sanctuary thought we had a symmetrical lot and went bankrupt trying to figure out why his plans were not fitting the lot.
  • I found floor plans of one of the buildings. Even though there was no date on the paper I found I can tell from the Sunday School terminology that it dated back quite a few years. The pastor's name that was on the paper helps to set the time also.
  • I walked the halls trying to find where one building connected to another building.
  • I had a guided tour of the current plant and I was shown all the crooks and crannies of joining buildings together and remodeling buildings along the way.
  • The current pastor came in and was looking at the pictures and I showed him the sequence of the buildings. I think he thought it was all one big building built at one time. Someone dropped the ball and did not explain that to him. He was looking at an ariel few of the current buildings. He pointed to one building and asked "What is this building?". I explained the purchase of the Episcopal property and the many uses of their sanctuary and that the building in question no longer existed.
It was a fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment